FOREST HILLS COOPERATIVE
70-31 108th St is a 14-story Cooperative, located in the heart of Forest Hills, NY. Constructed in the early 60’s, the building includes a cogeneration system to provide auxiliary electricity. Through years of troubled operations, new ideas and concepts were needed to restore the system to regular operation. The Board requested early Local Law 87 compliance, advancing an earlier energy savings study.
HOW GEATAIN ENGINEERING HELPED
Geatain Engineering implemented the following step-by-step analysis:
Whole building analysis to understand existing equipment and possible deficiencies.
Reviewed operator comments, design information, maintenance procedures and testing results to highlight cogeneration improvements.
Identified several means to return the cogeneration system to more normal operations.
Performed ASHRAE Level II assessment to identify savings.
Reviewed all measures with Board to select most practical measures with maximum return.
Cogeneration system returned to more normal operations.
Local Law 87 compliance achieved.
Presented several measures with attractive returns.
• Cogeneration system components were not operating in unison and were not optimally sized.
• An earlier energy study identified several energy savings.
• First year of LL87 compliance, so requirements were still in fluid state.
• Provided exhaustive evaluation of cogeneration system design and operations.
• Advanced heating controls.
• Digital AHU controls.
• Energy dashboard.
• Premium efficiency motors.
• Alternate energy rates.