592 FIFTH AVENUE
592 Fifth is ideally situated between the Manhattan diamond district and Rockefeller Plaza. The building has 11 floors and was constructed in 1911. Major building infrastructure were consuming large amounts of energy, so Geatain Engineering was retained to reduce energy consumption and provide Local Law 87 compliance.
HOW GEATAIN ENGINEERING HELPED
Geatain Engineering carried out the following steps to identify savings opportunities:
Walk through survey to understand existing equipment operations and limitations.
Reviewed mechanical and electrical system design, installed condition, maintenance practices and operating processes.
Identified several available energy conservation measures focusing on major infrastructure and less well-known equipment.
Highlighted several thoughtful and innovative solutions with property manager.
Average return for all measures is 2.1 years.
Annual savings of nearly $100,000 without new heating system or window improvements.
Advanced heating controls presented large savings.
• Outdated induction heating system operating far beyond its useful life.
• BMS system monitored just parts of building systems.
• Building leakage and sealing challenges.
• Advanced heating controls.
• Occupancy Sensors.
• Energy Dashboard.
• Variable frequency drives.
• Bilevel stairwell lighting.
• Operational strategies.
• Alternative energy rates.